Sunday 15 July 2012

Dare to be silent









View from Kamarooka Cottage















O breath of morn
blue of blue, hues of grey
cold crisp air says it's dawn
arise, come meet the day

A wallaby greets me at the door
silence offers a gentle kiss
all around is beauty to adore
heaven on earth is bliss, bliss, bliss


To take all this into my soul
beauty out there bring in
a dose of creation to make me whole
surrender to the still voice within


He is here in all of this
that I may see His face
let all striving cease
embrace grace, grace, grace                                                                                                                                                             

It kinda was and kinda wasn't, a conversation that planted a seed, like almost a dare to a silent retreat. Being an extrovert who loves people, people, people, the idea of total silence and no human contact for even just a day almost fills me with dread. But the opportunity arose, two whole days without commitments or responsibility, could it become a carved out space, a dare to be silent, to retreat? With no agenda but just to be, a swag of books, nature and me.


I feel purged from things that really don't matter. No TV, no phone conversations, no Facebook, no food, no artificial noise just natural ones; birds chirping, kookaburras laughing, bees buzzing, crickets clicking, cows mooing, chooks clucking, dogs barking, frogs croaking, like a hot soak and massage in nature's silence, stripped away from technology and pressure, a detox from competing voices of the world; do this, be this, lead this, manage this, coordinate this, write this, review this, sort this, fix this.


Stop. Be still. Come away. Dare to be silent. Just be. 


Though I love to keep up to date with politics and current affairs it has been really refreshing to not hear 'bad news' for two days. It's almost like being marooned on a deserted island with no news from the outside world. Marooned and hidden in the hills. I am not advocating a totally cloistered lifestyle, though for some this is a calling and choice, but for some of us to retreat from the busyness of life even just for a day or two can be enough to recharge and regain perspective. Imagine a month's retreat!


Contemplation, meditation and prayer are ancient practises that go in and out of vogue in our crazy paced culture. Being still when there is so much to do, achieve and succeed in is contrary to popular demand, 'operating in the opposite spirit' my YWAM days taught me. Their experienced benefits far outweigh any criticism of them. Each religion in the world has variations of the same, yet for me as one who tries to follow Christ, I find immeasurable comfort and peace in meditating on His life, His words, His love, trying to make relevant His presence, principles and values, a practise that has been tested and trialled through the centuries. Though I fail mostly, there is infinite grace to keep trying. It is this rhythm of grace I have found again this weekend in the hills and silence of Kamrooka and untamed places of my heart.


Often we need to remind ourselves we are human beings first, not human doings. I am one of the first to get caught up in do, do, do. To retreat is a golden gift to pause, reflect, recalibrate, refresh, like shift F5. Hopefully I will be a better mum, colleague, friend having been tucked away for a couple of days. Taking some of this beauty into my soul and everyday. Responding graciously with love and patience rather than frazzled fried reactions. Wonder how long the benefits of retreat last? It comes with no packaged guarantees, but this I do know, I have taken a plunge and jumped into the river of life again, to be carried by the mystery of its unfolding (thanks to John O'Donhue). Reconnected with the Source of its flow and ready to go. I invite you to do the same.


Thank you God, thank you Kamarooka.


Shalom













No comments:

Post a Comment