Sunday 24 June 2012

I don't want too....

Ever hear these words? "I don't' want too!" Sometimes it's a matter of too bad, too sad, suck it up and just do it. One of my 4 said this phrase this week in regards to ironing his work shirt about 30mins before we were meant to walk out the door. 


Hmmmm I was tempted to give in and do it myself, it was early morning, the household was frantic to all be ready on time and it really would have been quicker and easier for me to do it. There is a certain amount of energy and patience required to combat negative attitudes and behaviour don't you think and sometimes we have to dig deep as parents to find that! Thankfully sense and sensibility took over, and was able to navigate the moment with a verbal reminder that we all don't want to do things at certain times, but we have to just get over ourselves and do it whether we want to or not! Said very sweetly of course! Nike sure got their marketing campaign right with the phrase, Just Do It!


Do you as a parent ever feel like this? I just don't want too! Cook diner after a long day at work, clean the long forgotten windows of the house, weed the neglected garden bed or sort the overcrowded linen cupboard, or like me, get assignments & essays done in due time. After negotiating with my son about ironing his own shirt, felt the sting of reality bite me. Here I am trying to teach him self discipline and felt it slap my own face.


I am glad he didn't get out of it, but who disciplines us? Odd thought as adults, perhaps. Self discipline is a desirable trait in anyone, especially our own children. Some seem to be born with an incredible drive, tenacity and bent towards always doing their best, natural high achievers, others seem so chilled & relaxed with laisez faire attitude that self discipline is as black is to white.


Reflecting on parenting as an exercise in give and take. Sometimes to keep the peace we give a little slack to our children, recognising they are after all, just children. We cannot discipline for childishness, this would be unreasonable. However as they mature into their teen years, the degree of responsibility inevitably has to become more as they approach adulthood and independence.  The delicate balance is knowing when to give into human tendency to shirk responsibility and when to be resolute and say, just do it!


We'll get it right sometimes and other times we'll miss the mark & opportunities, but all in our best efforts to cherish and teach out children. Happy parenting!







No comments:

Post a Comment