Saturday 18 August 2012

Stocktake


Thought I'd do a little family stocktake since posting earlier this year about family democracy. Nursing 101 is assessment, care planning and evaluation. I find as a nurse educator and auditor that staff are fairly good at the first two; assessment and care planning, but evaluation often gets left off the radar! I do tend to fixate on outcomes and evaluation as per rata of what I do at work. Applying this to family life may seem a little stiff & starchy, but here goes anyway! 

So what does a little family stocktake/evaluation/audit look like? If you are a regular follower of our blog, the following will be familiar to you, if not, just note that these are areas we have been working on in our family. 

The after dinner routine Family Democracy & Economics

This is working out okay, with some minor changes, instead of 3 being rostered on as originally planned, it works out to be just 1 on each night of their own choosing. We keep a calendar to help us keep track, cause honestly you think you'll remember who did it last night, but I don't! To save arguments, the calendar don't lie! Other household duties get dived up for payment and jobs for love, well are just that, jobs for love and by virtue of being a part of the family. They do still surprise me at times with overt actions of self initiation which delight a mother's soul no end! Most recently, Sunshine with 2 girlfriends sleeping over made gingerbread men, getting icing sugar, food colouring and decorations from one end of the kitchen to the other. I asked them to clean up and was very impressed with the result! They cleaned up impeccably for 3 x 11yr olds!

EQ post 3 month grounding Disappointment

He endured his 3 month grounding with no complaints. There were some negotiations in the interim with key events that he was keen to attend. But definitely no sleep overs or parties. He even had to camp with us as a family at Easterfest rather than bunk down with buddies in the youth section. I do think he has learnt from his mistake and seems more forthcoming with key information. He even seemed to become somewhat of a house lad, not wanting to go out that much once the 3 months was up. With working quite a few shifts a week on top of school & TAFE, he realises that down time and family time are important too. Though currently I am on my final warning to being 'unfriended' on his Facebook account, as apparently it's very uncool to have your parents as a fb friend, according to his work mates. "Don't follow the crowd," I said. Then he told me why he didn't want to go to grade 11 camp. I asked, "are your friends going"? He said, "Mum, you just told me not to follow the crowd!" Whoops slip up on parental consistency on my part there! But I had to concede, he was right again and I was wrong! 

Post election Decisions, decisions, decisions

The six week election campaign as Family First candidate for Redcliffe electorate was busy, busy, busy and very rewarding. Most amazing was the support from my immediate family (special mention of my beautiful four and their commitment which was outstanding), friends, church community and then the wider community who I so thoroughly enjoyed meeting in this role. I had wonderful opportunities door knocking homes and businesses and also speaking engagements where I was able to chat with people about local issues of concern. It was a worthwhile endeavour and though exhausting would be one I would consider again. My realistic goals were to reach 4% votes and beat the Greens candidate (as he was only a 'paper candidate' - didn't live in Redcliffe, answered no emails, phone calls or bothered to attend 'meet the candidate' forum or answer the local paper editorials). We achieved the first goal, but not the second. I guess the Greens party is more well known than Family First and most young people who don't want to vote LNP or ALP support the Greens. I still believe in Family First values and support the party. We'll see what 2015 brings, a Queensland Family First MP would be a welcome addition to the balance of power in our State.

No comments:

Post a Comment