Thursday 18 October 2012

Attachment


Missing earring alert

I went to put on my favourite sapphire earrings yesterday to find one of them was missing. How my heart sank! They are my favourite pair of earrings! The self talk started instantly! How could I be so silly not to put them away in their box? Why didn't I be more careful? Where the heck could it be? If one is here the other can't be too far? When did I wear them last? But I remember very specifically putting them both in the jewellery dish on my duchess? Did Muffin knock them down? The barrage of questions that floods ones mind when something goes amiss!

What struck me was the intensity of the sinking sad feeling! Over an earring! It seemed such a strong emotional response to an object! A very small object at that! They were a Christmas gift from a friend a few years ago and although I don't wear them often because they are so special, I do really, really like them. I was so touched when I received them as they are something I would choose, exactly. I guess there is a degree of sentimental value to them and part of that loss is what I felt.

Nothing in comparison to the loss of a marriage, relationship or dear friendship, but loss that reminded me again, we so easily get attached.

You'll be glad to know that after whispering a prayer to find my earring, (how selfish, although I reckon if God cares & knows the number of hairs on our heads & the number of grains of sand in the world, then He may care about my earring!) there it was, hidden safely on the floor underneath the duchess. How it fell there, I don't know, but all my frivolous fretting was for nought once again! Be still my beating heart!

I guess for me the message is to be careful not to get too attached to physical things, hold people, places and things with open hands, for we know not when they may be taken from us. I am very attached to my children and can only imagine the horrendous agony of any parent who has lost a child through death. That's quite a leap from a lost earring to death of a child, incomparable really, however considering the depth of connection & attachment & still wanting/trying to hold everything and everyone with open hearts and hands.

Remembering the lovely little saying, we hold our children's hands for a moment, their hearts forever. 

Cherishing lost & found moments
Cherishing healthy attachments
Cherishing my children 



2 comments:

  1. so true Kerri - another example of those paradox's....holding close and letting go all at the same time x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!! Life is a paradox!

    ReplyDelete