Sunday 14 October 2012

Choc Chip Confessions


Baking with Sunshine yesterday gave some interesting insights into family secrets. I had offered to make pancakes for breakfast which was declined by the majority even though it's a Saturday morning favourite no one felt like them. Then on offer, bacon & eggs, also declined, rather suggested was we make banana choc chip muffins together.

I had noticed a few days prior some choc chips on the floor in the kitchen. A little odd as we hadn't eaten anything with choc chips in it. On further investigation noticed little cups in the kitchen sink that had chocolate residue in them ( my eldest son has a love of melted chocolate, so if he finds choc chips in the pantry or freezer he will put them in a cup, melt them in the microwave & eat it with a spoon! Certainly not something I encourage & have resorted to hiding the packet of choc chips to avoid this!).

So to Sunshine's request to make muffins I made the comment that I didn't think we had any choc chips as I had found 'evidence' of illicit choc chip usage the other day and indicated that I suspected EQ as the instigator! She then quickly went to the pantry, pulled out a very full packet of choc chips & told me boldly that there had been two packets hidden in the back of the pantry & yes in fact one packet was used the other day but it wasn't EQ who had initiated it.

Hmmmmmm choc chip confessions during a baking session! Little Miss Sunshine then fessed up to having found the packet herself during a pantry raid & shared them EQ style, melted in cups, with her sister & another friend for afternoon tea last week. Hence the choc chips on the kitchen floor! I laughed as she was telling me, her gorgeous honesty delightful. Given that her EQ brother was on a school camp & not around to defend himself I was struck by her transparency. She could have let it slip and let me think it was EQ, but she did own it, fess up, and tell the truth. Love it.

Even though it's only a simple, small, seemingly insignificant thing, choc chips, I do think it's important to encourage our children to be honest in the little things. Keeping short accounts! We have had the sad news this week of students at our school being expelled for drug usage, even close friends of my own teens. So sensitivity around being open & honest about everything confronting us all. Little things grow into big & more serious things fairly quickly & rather they learn to be honest & responsible for themselves now as little people with little problems so it grows with them into being big people with bigger problems.

Cherishing candid honesty
Cherishing childhood confessions
Cherishing memorable baking moments

No comments:

Post a Comment