Wednesday 29 February 2012

A snapshot of family life

                             I had to make the most of today being, 29th Feb - a leap year opportunity to write a post today as it won't come around again for another 4 years!! A work colleague recently asked me to reveal what the big decision was as featured in Feb 16 post. Apologies to leave you in suspense if you follow this blog but not my Facebook page. I am standing as the Family First candidate for my home town in the upcoming State election. A decision not taken lightly yet fully supported by my beautiful four! Today's little story reveals how they have not only supported in words but also in deed! 


Mr EQ is eagerly awaiting when our house will get 'egged' as he thinks all politicians are the victims of public hatred. "I'll protect you, Mum", says he, giving his vote of confidence & assurance of protective detail! 


Since making this decision, life has gone from crazy busy to superspeed! With an election looming & a campaign to organise, friends & family have overwhelmed us with their support. To give a small 'snapshot in the life of our family'.....


Two days ago I had driven from Cleveland where I was doing an educational workshop to Redcliffe, an hour in peak hour traffic after work to pick my daughter up from her friends, got home, quickly cooked dinner, raced off to pick up Sunshine from dance studio, home again, we ate dinner together. Mr EQ & I then attended an information evening at the school for grade 11 & 12's, I then rushed late to attend a Family First branch  meeting.......leaving my 4 to clean up after dinner, do homework & music practice without instruction or encouragement to do so. 





I actually excused myself early from the meeting to get home to my four and was pleasantly surprised when I walked through the door; Mr EQ was in the lounge playing his guitar, Thoughtful Princess was blasting away on her saxophone in her bedroom with door closed (our poor neighbours!), Deep Waters was hard at it math homework & Sunshine was pirouetting around the house as is her habit. Sunshine gave up walking along time ago, she dances everywhere these days! AND the kitchen was beautifully clean!


I should't have been surprised because my four are of course, 'well trained' but I can take no credit for their individual choices to get in and do what they did that night without being asked, prompted or reminded. It was the fact they had done ALL of this without me asking them too that delighted and surprised me! I often speak of  their own volition and I guess as parents this is the crux of our parenting. We are all hoping that the sum total of our love, devotion and parenting will create children who grow into teens & adults that make good, right, positive choices.


It was their free choice to do all this that gave me a lovely sense that they were not only supporting my decision to be the Family First candidate with their words, but also their actions! It was this that made me cherish them even more, as we had decided to do this as a family choice, in it together. They demonstrated this knowing & accepting their would be sacrifices of family time in the next 5 weeks.


When they actually do, it brings the greatest sense of satisfaction. They won't always get it right and there will be plenty of times they disappoint, frustrate, even exasperate, but when they do 'get it right' that's the time to praise em big time! We are often so quick to correct, we need to be quick to encourage and praise also!


If you are a parent of little ones, and in those days of more frustration, exhaustion & exasperation, take hope for the days of delight and reward are coming......with many moments along the way to cherish our children.









1 comment:

  1. Thank-you as always - loving your blog! And very much take on your comments on-board.......

    ReplyDelete