Monday 7 January 2013

Cobwebs


Holidays have brought with it time to do some much needed deep cleansing around the house. The back pergola, cupboards, blinds etc and cleaning the sneaky cobwebs that accumulate in the corners of every room.

Wiping them away got me thinking of the cobwebs that accumulate on the inside of our lives as on the outside. Spaces in our lives that often get ignored and only become evident when we look up......

A new year brings new thoughts, ideas, hopes, dreams, expectations and as much as I agree with setting goals, prioritising and aiming high am a little overwhelmed by all the blogs and books on the market with 21 suggestions to maximise my life;  7 steps to financial freedom, 5 steps to get more out of your job, 10 steps to a happier family etc, you know what I mean!

These are all excellent in themselves and am sure when applied rigorously all work wonders for some but for me they seem to cause more anxiety than liberty! I feel intense pressure reading them as if some magic formula or techniques followed will grant the perfect life! Yet in reality they seem more like a recipe or set up for failure. Why is that? Does anyone else think like that?

So back to the cobwebs - having a deep cleanse on the inside maybe warranted. This is something I can do. Maybe I can't fulfil the 21 steps to whatever, but I can take a look on the inside. To help do this I am not going to detox with an apple juice diet though that might be a good idea. Rather look in the corners of life that I often avoid. I have been journalling furiously, hoping writing can be a part of the creative, cleansing process. I am amazed at what even one day's pouring forth brought to the surface........ the old has gone the new has come.

It's interesting that only in a time of rest have I noticed the cobwebs. In all the normal busyness of life I hadn't even noticed them! It's like we stay so busy taking care of everything and everyone else, what we think is important that only in rest times can we see other places that need our attention. The cobwebs maybe a negative attitude, an unhealthy mindset, unforgiveness, a missed opportunity or a forming bad habit. If we always have our heads down & never rest or look up we may miss those places that need our attention. 

Cherishing time to rest & clean out
Cherishing the joys & benefits of journalling
Cherishing cobwebs for being symbolic 



No comments:

Post a Comment