Monday 14 January 2013

Write to express not to impress

photo by fanpop 

My kids think this blog makes them sound perfect! I certainly don't think so! Maybe they haven't read all of them. They protest sometimes about what I write, but quietly I think they don't mind. I haven't been unfriended on fb yet, the threat is ever there by my sons!

I would much rather shout their praise for positive stuff than slam them for the disappointing stuff. We grow from strength to strength with encouragement and so quickly feel unloved, judged or condemned if not.

Thoughtful Princess actually asked if I write this blog for me? This was very perceptive. As a way of capturing family moments & cherishing the little things they do, to help remember & record them. Mmmmmm I think she's right.

Sunshine's dance friend has her instagram name as;
dance_ to_express_not_to_impress. I love this! How insightful for an 11yr old! I have borrowed &  morphed it; write_to_express_not_to_impress.

For years I have been writing out my soul, since a child; dear diary soon became dear God as I sought to understand spirituality, people, myself, life & what it's all about. Literally have boxes of diaries & journals, have kept nearly all of them, I can't bear to part with them, it's a part of our family history. It is interesting to go back & read stuff written 20+ years ago, of dreams & desires, some have come to pass, some have faded, some have intensified.............

To write is to breathe for me, absolutely necessary and absolutely natural. So even if nobody read these blogs, I would still write. Some start in a journal, some come straight from my heart to the computer, some are written in my head while driving.

My beautiful four know I love to write & thoughtfully gave me a journal for Christmas, as did a few other friends who know me well. I am well stocked with a journal supply for 2013. Even with the advent of computers to type, to blog, to share thoughts, status updates, there is something about picking up a pen and physically writing over typing that facilitates the expressive process.

I am very easily pleased, a nice pen, a beautiful journal, a creative space, a blank page & time to write........

We all love a personalised hand written letter over a generic printed newsletter?Appreciate a hand written birthday card posted snail mail or hand delivered over a fb wall message, email or text? Maybe this year in 2013 we can rekindle hand writing & surprise someone with a hand penned note........

Cherishing the joy of written expression
Cherishing my four for letting me scribe about them 



No comments:

Post a Comment