Friday 4 January 2013

I can drop you off


These 5 simple words to my son have become his recent favourite. EQ has been working out at the gym after work most days lately. He usually asks to be dropped off, but he is thoughtful enough to not ask if he knows I have had a particularly busy day to-ing & fro-ing in the car, he doesn't just assume, which I am grateful for. God love him for that. So most times I offer if he doesn't ask.

The routine goes that I drop him off, skateboard in tow & he rides home. So the other night, he said he was going to the gym, I said the 5 simple words, "I can drop you off." He quickly replied, "Mum they are the best 5 words ever, even better than I love you"! Right here, right now they are his 5 favourite words, over time they will change, however......

Instantly I thought of Gary Chapman's 5 love languages, http://www.5lovelanguages.com one of them being, acts of service. The act of dropping him off to gym was demonstrating love not just saying it. It was a good reminder of how to tug at my teen's heart. Also a reminder that I will only be dropping him off for the next 27 days as he is booked to do his license test at the end of this month.

Ridiculous as it sounds, I have been feeling very nostalgic every time I drop him anywhere of late! To work, to gym, to his mate's house, to go skateboarding........ knowing that very soon he will be driving himself, it's like all of a sudden dropping him off has become a novelty! Maybe being on holidays helps too!

We are actually almost at that point in time that I imagined all those years ago - the knotted shoelaces place http://artofcherishingyourchildren.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/inspiration-on-australia-day-2012.htmlAt that historical time I deliberately & intentionally CHOSE to cherish my children & every moment with them, even in the ordinary & mundane little things.

When he was 5 years old, running late for pre school & fussing frustratingly over his jolly knotted shoelaces. I then went forward in time to when he would be out driving and possibly not home by midnight & longing for the simplicity of those knotted shoelaces.....

We are almost there. To that imagined future place. He is almost driving solo and I am choosing to cherish the days of drop offs and pick ups like there is no tomorrow! Hoping like crazy that I won't be wondering where he is at midnight!

Cherishing my son
Cherishing routine
Cherishing love languages



No comments:

Post a Comment